- Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance
- The Beast Side: Living and Dying While Black in America by D. Watkins
- Dog Whistle Politics by Jon Lopez
- The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
- A Cup of water Under My Bed by Daisy Hernandez
- Dancing on Live Embers by Barb Thomas and Tina Lopez
- Healing the Soul Wound by Eduardo Duran
- Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres
Tobacco, Marijuana, and Other Drugs
- E-cigarettes are a public health threat to young people, Surgeon General warns – TIMEIn response to increased use among young people, the U.S. Surgeon General released a report arguing that e-cigarette use among young people is public health threat. It’s the first Surgeon General report on e-cigarettes’ risks for youth.
- Landmark bullying study outlines solutions – Wausau Daily HeraldTop anti-bullying experts in the medical, psychology and counseling fields authored a report titled, “Preventing Bullying Through Science, Policy, Practice.” Hundreds of studies about bullying were scrutinized by a committee of scientists in an attempt to create a starting baseline for future bullying prevention efforts. “I think it’s a landmark report that shows the concern of bullying, and it lays out the groundwork for preventing it,” said Dr. Frederick Rivara, the chairman of the committee and a clinician at Seattle Children’s Hospital.
- Mainstreaming marijuana – Bend BulletinLegalization and state taxation of marijuana has legitimized the notion that marijuana is harmless. “The attitudes have definitely changed,” said Dr. Yolanda Evans, assistant professor of adolescent medicine at Seattle Children’s Hospital. “They’ll say, ‘marijuana is natural, it’s an herb.’ ‘It’s not going to do anything to me.’ ‘It’s legal, so that means it must be OK.’”
- Teens who vape are much more likely to become heavy smokers – TIMEHigh school students who vape or use e-cigarettes at the start of a school year are more likely to become heavy smokers by the end, compared to their peers who don’t vape, according to new research published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
- E-cigarette fires, injuries on rise – The Columbian
- Go smoke-free and save! – King County
- Behind 2016’s Turmoil, a Crisis of White Identity – NY Times
- Tactics for Bystander Intervention and De-escalation tactics